Wednesday 8 August 2012

The undertakers




As a youth just after I started my apprenticeship  with a stone mason.Was with A bricklayer for two years until he dropped dead on the job, one of our first jobs was in an undertakers    one of the drivers of the hearse had reversed into the stone wall that led to the garage housing a pair of the firms cars all the vehicles were new  one rolls royce hearse and 3  bentley funeral cars, i worked over on a saturday to put the finishing touches  i.e. pointing the stone work. when the gaffer of the funeral parlour came over with a beer for doing such a quick job, then the real reason came out as to his  kindness, I hear you past your driving test, I need a good driver  don't give me an answer straight away he said but think on . as I will give you a job for life,  A job for life I thought thats good coming from an undertaker,  then he said you will get to drive the car at least once a week,   anyway on the monday I had to call back to the job to pick up the tools . and seeing I was on my own  he asked if I would like to see what the rest of the job entailed and that is what put me off a job for Life. won't go into details but it was a bit morbid to say the least,  not worth it just to get to drive for one hour per week. when as it was I had a works van to drive around in,Pete my boss was not worried what I did after I took him home just as long as I was at his house to pick him up to be on the job at 8.00. I also at that time was in the territorial army 372 Royal artillery and was away in camp at weekends with a bedford tractor unit and 25 pounder  we as a unit were the last regiment to fire the 25 pounders before they put them in mothballs. the last shot was fired on the Denbigh moors firing range , blew a car up as to orders from high command.   no german tanks in 1964. the regiment was disbanded in 1967 soon after our lads came home from the troubles in Aden,,,and us Colwyn bay boys had to go to Prestatyn TAVR  and what money we got did not even cover our petrol.

  what brought this story to mind was this, Yesterday when I went to the doctors to find out the results of my blood test I was told to come back on Thursday as my doctor was away, and so as not to forget I asked the receptionist to write it down.  Just a while ago Pam asked me for my trousers so she could put them in the wash, on emptying the pockets I found the card for my appointment.  first thing  I saw was this advert

just what I needed the way I have been feeling lately. and what better place to advertise a job for life,
 not to worry  they get us all in the end. so does the reaper. its a good job I love my Saviour isn't it.

Jesus Loves Me This I Know 

Jesus loves me! This I know,
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong;
They are weak, but He is strong.



Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me! This I know,
As He loved so long ago,
Taking children on His knee,
Saying, “Let them come to Me.”




Jesus loves me still today,
Walking with me on my way,
Wanting as a friend to give
Light and love to all who live.



Jesus loves me! He who died
Heaven’s gate to open wide;
He will wash away my sin,
Let His little child come in.



Jesus loves me! He will stay
Close beside me all the way;
Thou hast bled and died for me,
I will henceforth live for Thee.

1 comment: